My ExperienceI have worked as a therapist and supervisor since 1992, in a variety of settings including GP surgeries, hospitals, the voluntary sector and private practice. I have worked in specialist services providing infertility counselling and bereavement counselling, and in generic settings where presenting issues are many and varied. I have worked with individuals and with relationships of all kinds, particularly through my work in primary care (GP referrals) and as an infertility counsellor. Presenting issues I have worked with over the past 20+ years include:
- Anxiety, Obsessions and Compulsions
- Stress, Work-related Stress (including redundancy & bullying)
- Emotional crisis and Trauma, PTSD
- Domestic Violence
- Low self-esteem
- Self harm
- Gender Identity
- Family problems and issues relating to childhood
- Loss and bereavement
- Health-related issues and life-threatening illnesses
- Relationship difficulties
- Substance Misuse (drugs and/or alcohol)
I also teach and facilitate meditation and mindfulness as part of an organisation called Meditation by the Bay (www.meditationbythebay.com).
As well as being a therapist, I am a freelance consultant with an expertise in mental health, leadership, change management and social inclusion. I have worked as both commissioner and provider in the NHS in senior management, and had leadership and policy development roles in mental health, sexual health and substance misuse. I am also an Associate Lecturer at the University of Central Lancashire.